Jan – Fri 31st 8.00pm Talk: Wild Britain Diary, by Chris Ward
Feb – Fri 28th 8.00pm Talk: Horatio’s Garden, by Jacqui Martin-Lof
Mar – Fri 27th 8.00pm Talk: Climbers (plus Plant Sale), by Marcel Floyd
Apr – Fri 17th 8.00pm Talk: A Way with Plants, by Kathy Brown
May – Fri 29th 8.00pm Talk: Life in a Nutshell, by John Tyler
Jun – 26th to 29th Short Break in Kent
Jul – Thu 9th Visit: Knebworth House & Gardens
Jul – Sat 18th Village Day – HAGA stall
Jul – Fri 31st 8.00pm Talk: Tooth, Claw & Mane, by Tom Way
Aug – Sat 8th Visit: Nymans (NT)
Sep – Thu 3rd Visit: Anglesey Abbey & Gardens (NT)
Sep – Fri 25th 8.00pm Talk: Missenden Walled Garden, by Rob Thomas
Oct – Fri 30th 8.00pm Talk: Dig for Victory, by Russell Bowes
Nov – Fri 27th 8.00pm AGM followed by refreshments
Nov – TBA 2.00pm Hughenden Valley Christmas Bazaar
Dear all Members and supporters,
We are delighted to advise that your village store and coffee shop has been nominated for the 2020 Countryside Alliance Award in the Village Shop/Post Office category. The process now needs supporters and customers to add to the nomination process by going on-line to nominate and describe the benefits of the village shop.
It would be fantastic if we could get through to the next round and hope that you are able to support our nomination. You can find out all about the awards and nominate by clicking on https://www.countryside-alliance.org/nominate?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIiN6j5tr45QIVgrTtCh0XgQfQEAAYASAAEgJ7HPD_BwE. The deadline for nominations is 8th December 2019.
As well as the section on your reason for nomination, there is also some factual information that you will need to complete which is as below:
Name of business to be nominated: ‘Hughenden Village Store and Coffee Shop (Hughenden Valley Community Shop)’
Address: Hughenden Village Store and Coffee Shop, Village Hall Car Park, Coombe Lane, Hughenden Valley, Bucks, HP14 4NX
(In case you need any reminders about how your community shop helps the community – It:
- Is a hub of the community providing a 7 day service and meeting place for customers,
- Sells many local products helping 16 local small businesses,
- Provides free home deliveries to the elderly and housebound,
- Provides donations such as Hampers and Cream Tea for Two vouchers to other local groups and schools for their fundraising events,
- Often reunites owners with lost property and lost dogs (!),
- Hosts and provides a venue for small parties such as baby showers, anniversaries and birthday celebrations,
- Hosts evening charitable support groups,
- Offers valuable work experience for approximately 25 Duke of Edinburgh students every year,
- Provides a welcoming, safe and cosy place to meet for local residents and the surrounding community and for children to wait for parents after school ,
- Serves an all-day hot food menu in the coffee shop,
- Provides free wifi for business working
- Provides employment for 7 staff and a great working environment and friendship group for a team of volunteers, promoting confidence, experience and companionship,
- Has a shop choir made up of staff and volunteers,
- Aims to be environmentally aware and use paper straws and eco-friendly takeaway cups and lids wherever we can.
We thank you very much for your support and will keep you posted on our progress.
Please make sure that all our older residents know about this event.
It will take place in the Village hall, doors open at 5.00 p.m. and runs until 8.30 p.m.
There will be food and drinks and entertainment.
Forms for registering will be circulated, but it does no harm to let your Road Representative know that you’d like to come along.
The AGM will be held in the Small Hall.
Agenda to follow shortly.
An important item this year is that the post of Treasurer will become vacant as the current incumbent is stepping down. If any one is interested then they should make themselves known to the chair, see our contacts page.
We also need an Editor for the Magazine which is produced 3 times a year.
Saturday May 11th 10-4
Community Day at St Michael’s Church. Inflatables, refreshments, BBQ, tours, live music, nature quest, and much much more.