The HVRA is an affiliated organisation to the High Wycombe Society; their next event sounds very interesting indeed. You and your neighbours are welcome to join, via zoom, a talk on Friday May 28th. at 7.30pm by Dr Wendy Morrison of Chilterns AONB “Beacons of the Past”.
The link to the talk is given below and is open from 7.15pm.
Archaeologist Dr Wendy Morrison’s research areas are Prehistoric European Archaeology and Landscape Archaeology. Closer to home, Wendy leads the Chilterns ‘Beacons of the Past’ project. Her work seeks to engage and inspire communities to discover, conserve, and enjoy what is around us and the unique Iron Age hillforts and their prehistoric chalk landscapes. The Chilterns has one of the largest collections of hillforts in the UK, yet many are poorly preserved, and little is known about them. Luckily, several of these hillforts are accessible from the Ridgeway. A key part of Wendy’s project is the largest LiDAR survey ever flown for archaeology in this country, and one of the largest in the world! Images are captured with a laser scanner mounted on a small plane that captures information about the ground below; revealing intriguing ‘lumps and bumps’, such as hillforts, that are hidden by tree cover and other vegetation. Wendy is also a Fellow of the Society of Antiquaries.
Would you please pass this message on to as many residents as possible in your road in case they wish to zoom in.
The link to this meeting is:
If the link does not work, open or download the Zoom application (it’s free) and enter Meeting ID: 721 150 5280 (no passcode required)
For those with limited technical facilities it will be possible to hear the proceedings by phone: 0203 051 2874 – enter the meeting ID on your keypad followed by # as instructed.
The session opens at 7.15pm to allow time for people to join and resolve any little niggling technical issues, and people can stick around for a chat after the talk and questions if they so wish. Sorry, but everyone will have to provide their own tea/coffee and biscuits!
Dear all Members and supporters,
We are delighted to advise that your village store and coffee shop has been nominated for the 2020 Countryside Alliance Award in the Village Shop/Post Office category. The process now needs supporters and customers to add to the nomination process by going on-line to nominate and describe the benefits of the village shop.
It would be fantastic if we could get through to the next round and hope that you are able to support our nomination. You can find out all about the awards and nominate by clicking on https://www.countryside-alliance.org/nominate?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIiN6j5tr45QIVgrTtCh0XgQfQEAAYASAAEgJ7HPD_BwE. The deadline for nominations is 8th December 2019.
As well as the section on your reason for nomination, there is also some factual information that you will need to complete which is as below:
Name of business to be nominated: ‘Hughenden Village Store and Coffee Shop (Hughenden Valley Community Shop)’
Address: Hughenden Village Store and Coffee Shop, Village Hall Car Park, Coombe Lane, Hughenden Valley, Bucks, HP14 4NX
(In case you need any reminders about how your community shop helps the community – It:
- Is a hub of the community providing a 7 day service and meeting place for customers,
- Sells many local products helping 16 local small businesses,
- Provides free home deliveries to the elderly and housebound,
- Provides donations such as Hampers and Cream Tea for Two vouchers to other local groups and schools for their fundraising events,
- Often reunites owners with lost property and lost dogs (!),
- Hosts and provides a venue for small parties such as baby showers, anniversaries and birthday celebrations,
- Hosts evening charitable support groups,
- Offers valuable work experience for approximately 25 Duke of Edinburgh students every year,
- Provides a welcoming, safe and cosy place to meet for local residents and the surrounding community and for children to wait for parents after school ,
- Serves an all-day hot food menu in the coffee shop,
- Provides free wifi for business working
- Provides employment for 7 staff and a great working environment and friendship group for a team of volunteers, promoting confidence, experience and companionship,
- Has a shop choir made up of staff and volunteers,
- Aims to be environmentally aware and use paper straws and eco-friendly takeaway cups and lids wherever we can.
We thank you very much for your support and will keep you posted on our progress.
Please make sure that all our older residents know about this event.
It will take place in the Village hall, doors open at 5.00 p.m. and runs until 8.30 p.m.
There will be food and drinks and entertainment.
Forms for registering will be circulated, but it does no harm to let your Road Representative know that you’d like to come along.
Saturday May 11th 10-4
Community Day at St Michael’s Church. Inflatables, refreshments, BBQ, tours, live music, nature quest, and much much more.
Dear Potential Quizzers and Supporters of the Hughenden Valley Potter Cup Quiz,
As most of you are aware the Potter Quiz was, for a number of reasons moved from the Autumn to the Spring.
So this year’s quiz is on SATURDAY 16th MARCH.
We are again following the approach of continuing to make it less complex to allow more time for socialising.
Also the price has once again been maintained at only £10 per person and this includes the good quality buffet. Please remember that the proceeds from the Potter Quiz are ‘ring fenced’ for the Senior Citizens function which will be held in the Summer.
More details of the Potter Quiz event are:
- DATE: Saturday 16th March 2019
- TIME: 7.00 for 7.30 prompt start
- THEME: ‘NOW IT’S SPRING’
- COST: £10 per head, which will include a good quality buffet
- TEAM SIZE: Optimum size 8 please, but a little bit of leeway is allowed
- TEAM NAME: Your choice
- FANCY DRESS (Linked to the Theme): Optional
- DRINKS: Bring your own drinks & glasses
Would you please advise me if you would like to put in a team, together with the likely numbers so that we can organise food, etc.
If you do have any related queries please don’t hesitate to contact me.
ALSO PLEASE SPREAD THE WORD TO YOUR FAMILY AND FRIENDS
Thanks for your support
Phone: 01494 562862
Mobile: 07807 776461
I am writing to you on behalf of Child Bereavement UK, a national charity based in Buckinghamshire which supports families and educates professionals when a child dies, is dying and when a child is bereaved. Every February we hold Snowdrop Walks across the UK, which are a special day to remember the babies and children who have died and the children who are bereaved each year and guests are invited to plant a snowdrop in memory of a loved one.
If you would like more information, please don’t hesitate to contact Lizee on email@example.com or 01494 569049
Details of the event are below:
Sunday 10th of February in West Wycombe Park, Buckinghamshire HP14 3AJ.